Trash & Recycling
Trash & Recycling Collection
Trash Collection Calendar 2020-2021. Trash is picked-up weekly and recycling every other week in the carts provided by Charlie’s Waste Services. Please have carts out to the curb by 6:00 am on Thursday morning. Trash and recycling pick-up is by an automated collection truck. Cans must be at the curb to be emptied. Please do not lean objects against the can or place it too close to fences, trees, mailboxes, or vehicles.
Issues with collection/missed pick-ups can be addressed directly to Charlie’s Waste Services at 844-548-7274.
Recycling Flyer (Updated June 2019) lists acceptable items for single-stream recycling (what you can put in your recycling cart for curbside pick-up). If you are unsure if something is recyclable, please throw it in the trash.
See the Household Hazardous Waste and Other Recyclables Flyer for information about how to dispose of hazardous waste and recyclables that cannot be placed in your single-stream recycling cart. Also see the Recycling Guide for detailed information on recycling a variety of materials.
Large items or amounts of trash
Extra fees may apply for the collection of bulk items or a large amount of trash, please contact Charlie’s directly at 844-548-7274. Additional carts for regular weekly collection can be ordered through City Hall and will incur an additional quarterly trash fee.
Rules regarding trash collection: (See § 305-8 of the Code of the City of Harrington)
- All carts must be placed for collection between 3 pm the day before and 6 am the day of collection
- If possible, please do not block sidewalks with garbage containers
- All carts must be removed from the collection area by 11:59 pm the day it has been emptied
- Garbage containers must be stored at the side or the rear of the structure and not visible from the street (screening can be used)
- Yard waste (grass, leaves, branches) and construction debris is not allowed in garbage containers
- Carts must be at the curb to be emptied; do not lean objects against the can or place it too close to fences, trees, mailboxes, or vehicles
Yard waste is banned from Delaware landfills. Please do not mix grass, leaves, tree limbs, shrubs, or garden material with regular household garbage. Trash haulers will not collect household garbage that has yard waste in it. See the Delaware Solid Waste Authority website for information on disposing of yard waste.
Please contact Harrington City Hall, 398-3530, if you have any questions.