Building Permits

The City of Harrington is launching an electronic permit submission process. Effective immediately, all plans (site and building) submitted to the City, as required for building permits, must be in electronic format. Building plans for smaller projects may continue to be submitted on 11”x17” or smaller paper until further notice where applicants have limited electronic submission capability. These paper plans will be electronically scanned by City staff and sent to the Building Code Official for review. Applicants may send plans already in electronic format directly to the City Building Code Official, David Naples with Code Solutions International, at Should the plans be too large for email attachment (greater than 50 MB), Mr. Naples can be contacted directly to make arrangements for alternate transmission of the plans, such as Dropbox or Google Cloud Drive.

Once approved, plans will be electronically returned to the applicant. The applicant may then print out 2 complete sets of the approved plans; one is to be forwarded to the City of Harrington for the property file and one is to be kept on site for all inspections.

This process is expected to decrease turnaround time for plan review and permit approval. Additionally, any plans in need of correction can be done so prior to printing. It is expected that the applicant will save the costs associated with multiple printings due to corrections, turnaround time for approvals, and the cost and time associated with mailing paper plans to City Hall.

The City of Harrington thanks you for your cooperation in this process. It is our hope that the process is noticeably improved.

Completed forms can be faxed to 302-398-4477 or dropped off at City Hall Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. See the Forms page.

City of Harrington building, construction, and maintenance standards

In addition to the City of Harrington Code, the following standards have been adopted:

Permit FAQs:

When do I need a building permit?
A building permit is required from the City when a building or structure in any zone is erected or structurally altered. Fences, sheds, pools, vinyl siding, roofing, demos, and driveways are other examples of work that requires a permit.

What information do I need to bring to apply for a permit?
The address where the work is to be done, the exact size and location on the lot where the proposed building or alteration will take place, and the location of existing buildings on the property. Note: any contractors must be licensed with the City of Harrington before a permit will be approved and issued. For more information, call City Hall at 398-3530.

Are there any limitations on where I can put a shed or pool, install a fence, etc.?
Sheds, pools, garages, etc. must be in accordance with City Code regulations. Fences can be placed on the property line only if mutually agreed upon, in writing, by all property owners involved. Sheds and pools can only be placed in the back and side yard. A fence may be placed in the front yard only with permission from the Planning Commission.

Do I need a county permit?
No. Any structural renovations requiring a permit will be inspected by the City’s Code Enforcement Officer or a City Consultant. When the project is completed, call City Hall at 398-4428 and the City will complete its final inspection.

Construction Specifications:

View Standard Specifications for Installation of Utility Construction Projects and Subdivision Pavement Design below.

General Conditions:

  • Section 1 – Excavation and Backfill for Pipelines and Structures
  • Section 2 – Water Mains and Appurtenances
  • Section 3 – Sewer Pipe, Force Mains, Pump Stations and Appurtenances
  • Section 4 – Storm Drain and Appurtenances
  • Section 5 – Concrete Sidewalk, Curb & Gutter, and Driveways
  • Section 6 – Surface Restoration
  • Section 7 – Soils Investigation and Subdivision Pavement Design
  • Section 8 – Cast-in-Place Concrete